I enjoyed these elk nachos with a side salad–they are so addicting! The filling but (mostly)healthy meal is great way to use up ground meat when you are short on ideas and sick of burgers.
Serves 2, with leftovers (maybe)
- 1/2 lb ground elk, venison, or antelope
- 1/2 c diced yellow onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 jalapeno pepper, finely diced
- 12 oz. (about 3/4 can) Vegetarian Refried Beans*
- 1/4 c Medium-heat salsa
- Season Salt
- Chili Powder
- 2 tsp. Taco Seasoning
- 1/3 c shredded cheddar cheese
* I recently began using the Old El Paso Vegetarian variety as I realized they do not contain partially hydrogenated oils like the Traditional and Green Chili varieties, if you care about that sort of thing.
- Cook ground meat with onion, jalapeno, and garlic until meat is no longer pink. Season with season salt, taco seasoning, and chili powder to taste.
- Stir in refried beans and salsa to meat mixture and combine until smooth. Simmer on low heat another 1-2 minutes.
3. Lay out tortilla chips and top with nacho meat. Sprinkle with shredded cheddar cheese and microwave 15 seconds if you like your cheese melted. Top with salsa and start scooping!