Source: Easy Crock-Pot Mallard & Teal
I used this recipe by from All Recipes as the basis from which to make this Classic Elk Stew last Sunday for a perfect wholesome weekend meal after my afternoon x-c ski. The elk meat is extremely tender and required no marinade at all! This recipe will give you leftovers for the week, too, which is very welcome on those nights when you get home from work and just want to EAT. This does take 8 hours on LOW in the slow cooker from start to finish, so it’s a good idea to thaw your roast two days before you plan to make this so you can start it cooking by late morning.
This is what I used:
- 2 lb Elk Round Roast
- 3 whole carrots, sliced into rounds
- 2 potatoes (red or russet or both)
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, cut into big pieces
- 1 celery stalk, sliced into pieces
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tsp. Worcestershire
- 1.5 cups beef broth (I used Better Than Bouillon beef base)
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- 1/2 tsp. season salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1 Bay Leaf
- Cut elk meat into 1-inch chunks and place into slow cooker.
- Pour 1/4 cup flour over top to cover the meat.
- Rinse and peel carrots and slice into rounds.
- Wash potatoes and cut into chunks with skins on.
- Rinse celery stalk and cut into pieces.
- Cut 1/2 yellow onion into big pieces.
- Place vegetables in slow cooker.
- Combine beef broth with minced garlic clove, Worcestershire, and seasonings. Pour over top of meat and vegetables.
- Top it off with a bay leaf and cook on LOW for 8 hours.
- Remove bay leaf before serving.
I served this stew with garlic bread and it was a great combo. This stew will also make your house smell fantastic!
I followed this recipe by Elizabeth on the Sugarhero website http://www.sugarhero.com/easter-egg-doughnuts/ to make these adorable and tasty donuts for my weekly catering job. I followed the recipe exactly, except I did not fill these with any filling and only made the vanilla glaze, and not the chocolate. These would be perfect for Sunday brunch or a special Easter week breakfast. Enjoy!