This dinner was too good not to post, even though it is not a recipe using wild game. As someone who appreciates having a freezer full of game meat to eat throughout the year, I also think it’s important to have some really good non-game meals to turn to for a break in the action every once in a while. After two to three weeks of only eating meat consisting of venison, elk, and antelope, I am usually ready for a meal with some white meat! I would say we eat chicken or pork two times a month (plus leftovers from those meals). I am a big fan of the Smart Chicken brand, which is sold locally at our store. I hope you add this recipe to your rotation for non-game nights; I know I will be making it again.
Green Chili Chicken and Wild Rice Burritos
Yield- 4 burritos
This recipe takes a little prep in cooking the chicken, but is well worth it. I cooked the chicken the night before and used a microwavable bag of wild and brown rice blend that you don’t even add water to (who knew?!- one of my latest WalMart finds) which made assembling this meal quick and easy today.
3/4 lb. cooked, diced chicken breast (about 1.5 cups)
Montral Chicken Seasoning
4 medium-sized flour tortillas (I use Mission Carb Balance)
1 T. butter
1/2 cup chicken broth + 2 T.
2 T. AP flour
1/4 cup half and half
1/2 cup salsa verde
1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
2 T. medium heat salsa
1 bag Uncle Ben’s Wild and Brown Rice microwavable blend (or about 1 cup of cooked wild/brown rice)
- Season chicken breasts with montreal chicken seasoning and bake at 350 for 30 minutes or until no longer pink inside.
- Dice chicken into cubes.
- Cook rice according to package directions. The microwavable bag I used simply requires you to cut a vent in the top of the bag and microwave it for 90 seconds and it’s ready to go.
- Melt butter in medium sauce pan. Whisk in flour to make a paste.
- Add in chicken broth, half and half, and salsa verde and whisk until smooth and simmering.
- Sprinkle in a dash of cumin, chili powder, and season salt.
- At this point I added in about 2 T. more of chicken broth because I thought it was too spicy. I recommend doing a taste test and adding in more chicken broth if you want to dilute and lessen the heat. Allow sauce to simmer down and thicken again.
- Stir in the diced chicken and cooked rice to make the filling.
- Lay out four medium tortillas and spoon 1/4 of the filling into each.
- Top with 1 T. shredded cheddar and a dollop (about 1/2 Tbsp.) of medium salsa.
- Roll tortillas and seal ends.
- Wrap each burrito in a strip of tin foil and seal tin foil completely around it to make a little package.
- Toss the tortillas into the oven onto the oven rack and bake at 350 for about 10-15 minutes.
Store any leftovers in their tin foil packages in the refrigerator for up to three days. To reheat, wrap tortilla in a paper towel and microwave.
Nutrition Information: According to Livestrong.com
Protein- 30 g
Total Fat- 13 g
For a more detailed nutrition profile, click this link http://www.livestrong.com/recipes/mos-green-chili-chicken-wild-rice-burritos/
8 thoughts on “Takin’ a Break…Green Chili Chicken and Wild Rice Burritos”
Have you seen any other kind of information relevant to this particular one?
I’d personally wish to research much more about this amazing subject matter!!!! I personally appreciate your current postings, however I need to get additional facts concerning skin creams for dogs. Thanks for the tips!!!
I can learn about this all day!! With any luck , you’ve got an RSS feed I can sign up for. We have recently been browsing all over the web with respect to posts regarding sell organic makeup from home.
Wow….great web site and posts right here. The articles here
are truly informative!! 😉 Any sort of Rss on this
website? 🙂 I’ve truly been searching for regularly updated information on the subject of e readers compared kindle 3.
Have anything else a tad more detailed? 🙂 Including,
product reviews or possibly material on westinghouse led tv 55 inch.
How can I sign up for your site content?!
I am going to read about this all day!! We hope you have an
RSS feed I am able to register for. We have been really
exploring all around the internet relating to information
with regard to sporting event tickets for military.
you’re actually a excellent webmaster. The website loading pace is amazing. It seems that you are doing any unique trick. Also, The contents are masterwork. you’ve done a
fantastic process on this subject!
I was wondering if you ever considered changing the page layout of
your blog? Its very well written; I love what youve got to say.
But maybe you could a little more in the way of content so people could
connect with it better. Youve got an awful lot of text for only having one or two images.
Maybe you could space it out better?