Hamburger steak with potatoes from the garden is one of my go-to recipes to dress up ground elk meat, and is based off of this recipe http://allrecipes.com/recipe/hamburger-steak-with-onions-and-gravy/ with slight adaptations.
Process bread in food processor to make bread crumbs. I started out using 1/4 c but added another 3 T or so to absorb into the meat mixture.
Thinly slice about half of a medium yellow onion, and sautee in 1 T vegetable oil.
Add patties to frying pan with onion and cook 4 minutes per side.
Remove patties and set aside. Add flour, slowly whisk in beef consomme and scrape the drippings and onion bits off the bottom to get a flavorful gravy. 5 minutes later…
Add patties and onion back to pan and simmer in gravy for 5-10 minutes until meat is cooked through and gravy is thickened.
Goes great with creamy mashed potatoes (recipe to follow).
Elk Hamburger Steak with Onion and Consomme Gravy
1 lb. ground elk
1/3 c breadcrumbs
1/8 tsp. ground black pepper
1/2 tsp. season salt
1/2 tsp. onion powder
1/4 tsp. garlic salt
1 tsp. Worcestshire sauce
1 T. vegetable oil
1/2 c thinly sliced yellow or sweet onion
2 T. flour
1 can Campbell’s Consomme beef broth
1. If you are making breadcrumbs, process bread slices in food processor. (I use a combination of wheat and white bread heels, then freeze the leftovers in a ziplock so I always have breadcrumbs on hand.)
2. Slice onion and begin to sautee in vegetable oil on low heat. Combine breadcrumbs, ground elk, egg, spices, and Worcestshire. Form into 4-5 balls and flatten into patties.
3. Add patties to frying pan and cook with lid on for 4 minutes per side. It’s alright if they don’t cook all the way at this point, mine were still raw in the center. They will finish cooking when you put them back in with the gravy later.
4. Remove patties and set aside on plate. Add 2 T of flour to pan and slowly whisk in 1 can of consomme broth. Stir and simmer on medium heat for about 5 minutes until broth thickens.
5. Return patties and onions to pan in broth, cover, and simmer another 5-10 minutes until patties are cooked through and sauce is thickened.