Since I am really only cooking for one most of the time during the winter due to Joe’s work hours, I often find myself with leftovers to eat. This recipe is perfect for a quick weeknight meal that takes only about 15 minutes to prepare and makes fantastic leftovers that you won’t mind having around the house. Please note that this recipe can be doubled easily for a family of four. I made this recipe with the thawed ground elk meat that had been sitting in the fridge for a while and needed to be used up. This is a basic sauce because tomato puree was all I had on hand, and it turned out good for this recipe. As an alternative, this spaghetti sauce recipe is a favorite of mine if I have a little time to spare and the ingredients it requires.
Skillet Tortellini with Wild Game Pasta Sauce
Yield: (3) 1- cup servings
- 2 cups frozen cheese tortellini (I used Great Value brand)
- 1/2 lb. ground wild game
- 1 1/2 c (12 oz.) tomato puree
- 1/4 cup yellow onion, diced
- 1/2 cup Italian Blend or mozzerella cheese
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, divided
- Italian seasoning
- Garlic salt
- Season salt
- Black pepper
- Onion Powder
1. Spray a frying pan with cooking spray and brown ground meat with diced onion. Meanwhile, start water boiling in a medium pot for the tortellini.
2. Liberally season meat mixture by shaking in Italian seasoning (about 1 T.), and basil, garlic salt, season salt, black pepper, onion powder, and oregano in smaller batches (about 1/2 tsp.) until you achieve your desired taste.
3. As meat browns, crumble with a wooden spoon and add in tomato puree and half of the parmesan cheese (1/4 cup).
4. Simmer meat and sauce on LOW heat until meat is cooked through, about 5 minutes. Taste and add more spices if desired.
5. Measure out 2 cups frozen cheese tortellini and boil for 3 minues until pasta in tender.
6. Drain pasta, rinse, and pour into frying pan with meat and sauce mixture.
7. Stir gently to combine. Top pasta with Italian blend shredded cheese (or mozzerella) and remaining 1/4 c parmesan cheese.
8. Serve immediately.