Last weekend we traveled down to Riverton after work Friday night to camp out at Ocean Lake in preparation for the duck season opening Saturday morning. My parents joined us in their camper as well. It was a beautiful fall morning and my husband & dad did pretty good. Maggie also did some great retrieving, swimming out to get two potential escapees! With the addition of our six-month old son (hence the paper plate!) I try to plan quick & easy dinners & utilize the crock-pot as much as possible while I’m at work all day. This recipe is quick & easy.
- Rinse duck breasts from mallard/teal (4-5 birds)
- 1/2 can cream of mushroom soup
- 1/4 cup Italian dressing
- 1/4 cup apple cider
- Brown & Wild Rice
Add duck, soup, dressing, and apple cider to crock-pot & cook on LOW for 6 hours. Microwave or cook wild rice. Serve duck over rice with your choice of veggies & ladle on the sauce from the crock-pot. Stir fry veggies would be great, but I whipped up some glazed baby carrots this time since I had them on hand. Enjoy!
In an attempt to use up a small piece of leftover elk steak and a small piece of leftover prime rib from my birthday dinner last week, I came up with this stir-fry rice bowl recipe and was pleased with the results! The orange sauce recipe is something I made up after looking at a bunch of stir fry recipes online. I had a fabulous veggie and rice bowl at Lotus Cafe in Jackson two weeks ago when I was in town having lunch with a friend after an appointment, and have been making my own varieties of it ever since. Hope you enjoy it.
Orange Elk Rice & Veggie Bowl
- 6 oz. Cooked elk or venison steaks, cut into thin strips
- Handful of baby spinach
- 1/4 cup sliced red onion
- 1/2 yellow squash, sliced
- 1 cup broccoli, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 T. olive oil
- Salt + Pepper
- 2 cups Brown Rice, cooked- (I use Uncle Ben’s instant bags)
- 3 T. Orange Juice
- 3 T. water
- 1/2 T. soy sauce
- 1/2 T. Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 T. brown sugar
- 3/4 tsp. ground ginger
- 3/4 tsp. onion powder
- 3/4 tsp.
- garlic salt
- Heat oil in skillet on medium heat. Chop vegetables and begin to cook, starting with the broccoli first, then onion, then squash and spinach. Season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile slice meat into thin strips and set aside. Stir vegetables periodically over the next 7-10 minutes until cooked.
- While you are waiting on the veggies, combine the sauce ingredients in a small bowl using a fork or whisk, and then divide the sauce in two. You will use one now for the meat, and one later for the rice. psst…Don’t forget the brown sugar, which is not pictured here!
- Scoop meat strips into sauce and dump mixture into veggies. Cook another 2 minutes on medium-low heat.
- During that time, pop the rice bag in the microwave for 90 seconds and cook.
- Heat the remaining sauce in the microwave for 20 seconds to warm it up before pouring it over the rice.
- Place 1/3 cup rice in a bowl and top with meat and veggie stir-fry, and then spoon remaining sauce over top to taste.